WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: How does blind users access graphical information as charts (flowcharts, organisation chart)

for

Date: Sep 8, 2007 11:50AM

Hi Lydia,

These are very good questions. One of the best ways to get answers is to ask people who are blind! Here is a resource that can help you with that: "Just Ask: Integrating Accessibility Throughout Design". It talks about finding people with disabilities, including them in your project, and methods for evaluation.

"Just Ask" is available as a print book, and the entire thing is online free from:
www.uiAccess.com/JustAsk/

I hope you find it useful.

~Shawn

------------------
Shawn Lawton Henry
phone: +1-617-395-7664
email: <EMAIL REMOVED>
about: www.uiaccess.com/profile.html
------------------------------------

Lydia De wrote:
> Does anyone can guide me. I am new in this mailing list and have few questions and hope to find some answers with you.
> How does blind user access graphical information like flow charts, organisation charts?
> What are the most common methods and tools used?
> Does it allow a blind user to have the same experience as sighted users?
> What does a blind user think of the accessibility of this kind of graphics on the web?
> Do they have some ideas of what they would like to see happen?
> When accessing a flowchart or organisation chart, what kind of information are they interested in?
> I have read a lot on accessibility but didn’t find much on graphics (charts) accessibility except providing text alternatives or long descriptions, but Is it enough to make charts accessible, some are very long to describe, is there anything else that exist?
> What kind of information do I need to describe?
> If I want to check that my complex chart is accessible to a blind person, what kind of method do I need to use?
> Thanks
> Lydia
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good this month.
> _______________________________________________
> To manage your subscription, visit http://list.webaim.org/
> Address list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>