WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

IE 9 Dynamic Forms issue with JAWS 13 & 14

for

Date: Nov 7, 2012 7:34AM

We are attempting to understand an issue that occurs in IE 9 when using JAWS 13 and 14 to complete dynamic forms. We have confirmed that this issue does not happen with FF 15.

The problem occurs when new form fields are added to a page using JavaScript. JAWS will not correctly report the labels for the form fields even though the form fields are properly labeled with the label element and matching for and id attributes. This happens with all types of form controls. The problem is even more pronounced in select elements that are dynamically populated. JAWS does not correctly report the options.

We have a work around but it dramatically impacts the productivity of JAWS users. Refreshing the JAWS buffer with JAWSkey+esc will return correct identification of the form labels and option contents. We are working with Freedom Scientific to resolve the issue but the applications that are causing issues are behind a firewall and we cannot grant the technicians at Freedom Scientific access to the applications for testing. I am hoping that someone on this list can point me to a public facing application where the same problem exists so that I can share the URL with the folks at Freedom Scientific.

Sent from my iPad
Mike