WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Native vs Embedded video

for

Date: Mar 7, 2013 3:34PM

They are talking about the accessibility of the media player controls, not the accessibility of the media file.

As such, I am inclined to agree as long as the native file is in a 'sensible' format that is well supported. It is possible to get free media players for most common file formats for most operating systems, albeit that users may well not have these installed, so it would be necessary to provide a link from which they can be downloaded.

It would still be necessary for the media files to have captions and audio descriptions where appropriate.

Although this solution would be technically compliant, in practice we often find that people do not know the keyboard shortcuts for their native media player. Of course there is an onus on them to learn how to use their machine but I suspect that most people are used to playing audio and video through their browser, not the native media player.

Steve Green

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Dona Patrick
Sent: 07 March 2013 21:25
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Native vs Embedded video

I received this question from a developer at work today and I am not sure of the answer. I've never heard this and a brief search online didn't give me any answers. I am assuming she is talking about captioned video. Is she correct?

Thanks,

Dona

My understanding of embedded video and audio players is that they don't
> necessarily have to be compliant as long as a download link to the
> native file is provided. Does that sound right to you?