WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Labels on Checkboxes in data tables

for

Date: Mar 29, 2013 8:55AM

In addition to my statement that WAI-ARIA techniques have not reached the status of WCAG sufficient technique so far, I'd like to clarify that ARIA techniques may still be used to claim conformance provided that they have sufficient accessibility support.

Whether or not a technique has already been published in the informational resources of WCAG 2.0 is not the decisive criterion. Instead, whether or not a technique can be deemed sufficient will depend on the current level of support in the context of use of the site that includes it.

Some aria roles and properties properties are better supported than others across the spectrum of browsers & assistive technologies. In constrained environments (company intranets, for example) accessibility support may be demonstrated by showing that the particular set of OS, browser and screen reader deployed supports the technique used. For public internet sites, it is an open call whether the share of supporting browsers & AT is already high enough to declare a technique accessibility supported. We all know that the speed of updating technologies varies a lot across countries and institutions.

Detlev

On 29 Mar 2013, at 09:52, Detlev Fischer wrote:

> I thought I throw in a WAI-ARIA example of a data table where column and row headings are linked to inputs in the cells - in this case text inputs - via aria-labelledby.
>
> http://3needs.org/en/testing/code/aria-labelledby-simple-table.html
>
> The original example is by Jim Thatcher. I just added some screen reader testing.
>
> The advantage here is that both row and column headers are used to label the input and using a native label with both inside the cells would be quite redundant.
>
> I think whether this is an OK way to label form elements in tables in terms of WCAG 2.0 compliance is hard to determine without regard to the overall context. In a simple and very short table as provided in the example, doing without visible label may be OK even for low vision users. But if you think of a matrix with longer rows of checkboxes (like Likert scale ratings) in a huge multi-row table, there certainly wouldn't be enough visual context for low vision users using magnification software or text size cranked up.
>
> Note also that WAI-ARIA techniques have not reached the status of WCAG sufficient technique so far.
>
> Best - Detlev
>
> On 28 Mar 2013, at 23:07, Susan Grossman wrote:
>
>> Get a lot of push back on putting labels in data tables that contain form
>> elements. Generally they want to move off screen all the labels so they
>> aren't visible.
>>
>> I push back on check boxes/radio buttons because having a visible label
>> gives users that larger area to select.
>>
>> The push back is that it's too cluttered in a selection column having the
>> word "select" over the button/box. When doing government sites, they just
>> go ahead and put the labels into the cell.
>>
>> So, opinions on whether the trend is going to all labels being hidden if
>> the inputs of any type are in a table cell would be appreciate. Links
>> extremely helpful on examples or write-ups.
>>
>> Thank you for your time -
>>
>> --
>> *Susan R. Grossman*
>> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>> >> >> >
> --
> Detlev Fischer
> testkreis - das Accessibility-Team von feld.wald.wiese
> c/o feld.wald.wiese
> Thedestraße 2