WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF - when spcifying the language of a form using Lifecycle, is it enough to use the locale property?

for

Date: Sep 24, 2013 2:25PM

On each page of the form you will probably have a main subform. Set the language for that in the accessibility palette and you're good to go as all objects within that subform will use the same language unless you specify that one of those objects needs a different language to match content in a different language.

You can think of it in a similar way to language in an HTML file. The difference is that when you assign the language at the form level (similar to assigning the language on the HTML element) the language setting isn't being set in the PDF. However, if you set the language on the top subform (like setting the language on the HTML body or top-level DIV element) then all content within that structure will share the same language.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Accessibility
Adobe Systems

<EMAIL REMOVED>
http://twitter.com/awkawk
http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Trafford, Logan
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:04 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF - when spcifying the language of a form using Lifecycle, is it enough to use the locale property?

Hi Birkir

By reapplying the language in Acrobat Pro after the document has been saved out is the only way we have been successful. I am also anxious to know if there is a tried/true method within LiveCycle itself without having to add the extra step. Like you, we have found that the language attribute applied within LiveCycle does NOT get applied to the PDF when saved.

Logan Trafford

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: September 24, 2013 11:34 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF - when spcifying the language of a form using Lifecycle, is it enough to use the locale property?

Greetings

The conundrum of the day for me is, what needs to happen when designing forms in Adobe Lifecycle to make sure that the document language is communicated correctly to screen readers when users open the form.
There is the mention of the locale of the form which would be fine if form was an English form, but what if I wanted to design a French or Icelandic form in Lifecycle, which property would I have to define and how to ensure that the language is communicated to assistive technologies.
Thanks
-Birkir
Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Accessibility Subject Matter Expert | Deque Systems This e-mail originates from the City of Ottawa e-mail system. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me at the telephone number shown above or by return e-mail and delete this communication and any copy immediately. Thank you.

Le présent courriel a été expédié par le système de courriels de la Ville d'Ottawa. Toute distribution, utilisation ou reproduction du courriel ou des renseignements qui s'y trouvent par une personne autre que son destinataire prévu est interdite.
Si vous avez reçu le message par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser par téléphone (au numéro précité) ou par courriel, puis supprimer sans délai la version originale de la communication ainsi que toutes ses copies. Je vous remercie de votre collaboration.