WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: CVAA and video captioning

for

Date: Nov 22, 2013 7:35AM

I heard back from the company, and they said the accessibility problems were an oversight. They apologized, said they would gfix it, and would send me a copy.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:29 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] CVAA and video captioning

Let me restate my original question:
Is the white paper's overview about CVAA requirements accurate?

The "30%" was just an aside where I noted that this statement is ambiguous at best. They quoted research from Forrester, a large, well-respected research house on marketing statistics, but left out the demographic data - which age group, which population, etc. Without the demographic data from Forrester, that quote is ridiculous: there's still a sizable portion of the American population that doesn't even have Internet access at all, so how could they spend 30% of their viewing time watching cat videos and streaming Netflix?

With a long history as a managing editor and art director, this type of error makes me question the validity of the entire white paper.

However, the Forrester reference was just a quote in passing, not the main story of 3 Play's white paper.

So, in spite of the misleading "30%" quote about the Forrester research or the inaccessible PDF, my main question is: how accurate is the rest of the white paper? The white paper is discussing CVAA legislation, due dates for compliance, and other related info.

Given how highly Karen Sorenson spoke of them, I'm hoping 3 Play got the rest of their information correct!

- Bevi Chagnon
- PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, and Developers.
- Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508 Accessibility.
- It's our 32nd year!

-----Original Message-----
[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:59 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] CVAA and video captioning

Bevi wrote:

> But back to my original question...is the white paper accurate?

The article states, "Americans currently spend nearly 30% of their daily viewing time watching online video." I don't know why they would misrepresent this statistic. Perhaps you interpreted this to mean "30% of their day", which would clearly not be correct. I suspect that viewing time is probably defined as time spent viewing media (or something similar) and that 30% of that time is spent watching online video.

Jared