WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Build for the bugs?

for

Date: Feb 22, 2015 12:29PM

> "when to apply accessibility"

a good idea for example is to only use acronyms accompanied by an explanation. Despite being in the software business I had to look up SDLC.

Now, normally I would send this privately to the poster. But as it is illustrates that 'we' (including myself!) see accessibility deficiencies especially well when they are caused by others, I believe it's worthwhile to put it on the table on this list.

I think it is highly undefined (sic!) what it means to "see[ing], from the beginning, that accessibility is a fundamental requirement." I also dare say that for over 90% of people dealing in accessibility it equates to screen reader support for use by blind people (and thus missing out on the other 98 or 98 percent of people with some limitation in functioning). What's still missing is a coherent overall approach (so that most of us software engineers, designers, document producers, … for example could get most of the important stuff right early on, without having to interrupt daily business for a year to study accessibility).

Olaf