WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: clarification please -> PDF/UA

for

Date: Feb 26, 2015 8:00AM

> II doubt I'm not the only one raising an eyebrow that an organization that advocates against endorsing software or using blatant superlatives uses screenshots of proprietary software and publicly claims "On the Home ribbon, use the lists tools to create or repair lists in Word documents. This is the easiest way to ensure that lists are formatted correctly when they are converted to PDF.".

I don't consider this an endorsement. The fact is many if not most people are using Word, InDesign, and Acrobat at some point in the process to create tagged PDF content These tools are also something that people are familiar with and not providing steps to use them would be more harmful. If you feel additional software such as LibreOffice or Nuance PDF Creator Pro should be listed by all means submit a pull request to have those added to the github repository.

I agree with Jon Avila's comment. These are mentioned in specific PDF techniques and we are not only willing to add additional tools, but have already done so as in the case with Open Office. The techniques do not suggest that using Word or Acrobat is the ONLY way to accomplish a specific goal, just that they provide a way. I was the one who introduced the content in the PDF techniques, including the Word and Acrobat examples, and we added the Open Office example as part of the review process within the group. We're happy to add additional tools, but we are bandwidth constrained in the group and as far as how PDF is supported in the full set of PDF-producing tools we are also knowledge-constrained. Anyone can consider this an open invitation to share information or pull requests that will help us increase the utility of the techniques.

AWK