WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Name, Role, Value and Labels or Instructions techniques...

for

Date: Mar 31, 2015 7:18AM

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Léonie Watson
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:48 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Name, Role, Value and Labels or Instructions techniques...

" So with the new document, 4.1.2 and 3.3.2 success criterion, in a way, contradict each other. Part of me ask why list something that can be done.
but really should not be done?"

I don't think they do contradict each other do they? 4.2.2 requires that a thing has an accessible name, 3.2.2 requires that it has a visible label. You can meet both in one go using the <label> element, or you can meet them separately using the title attribute and a different visual label. It's just different ways to get to the same outcome.

Léonie.
--
@LeonieWatson Tink.UK Carpe diem

I am not sure that using a title when a visible label is present (Technique H65) actually meets all of the requirements for labeling non text content (form controls). (4.1.2, 3.3.2, and 1.1.1) It certainly has the potential to cause confusion if the title and the label do not match.

Technique H65 description: "The objective of this technique is to use the title attribute to label form controls when the visual design cannot accommodate the label (for example, if there is no text on the screen that can be identified as a label) or where it might be confusing to display a label. User agents, including assistive technology, can speak the title attribute."

Since a visible label is present and is clear using the title instead of the label does not fulfil the use case for the technique. Additionally marking up the label using something other than the label element may potentially violate 4.1.1 Using the markup language to spec. (Technique G192).

Of course I have been wrong before.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator,
Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services