WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDFMaker vs. Word Add-in for pdf conversion

for

Date: Apr 29, 2015 7:17AM

I would recommend the Adobe add-in very strongly, especially for PowerPoint presentations or Word docs with headers/footers. It does a much better job of marking content as artifacts where appropriate. The automatic bookmarking is also better.

-Sylvia

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Howard Kramer
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:43 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] PDFMaker vs. Word Add-in for pdf conversion

I've noticed there are two contradictory views regarding PDFMaker vs. the Word/Office Add-in for Office 2010 and 2013. I've heard from some folks that the Word Add-in works fine and just as well as the PDFMaker Add-in. On the WebAIM site (http://webaim.org/techniques/acrobat/converting), they state, regarding the Word Add-in that:

The tagging process may not be quite as good as with the Adobe add-in, but most content, such as heading levels, lists, and alternative text for images is exported.

Is the above the general consensus or is this still up for debate. I'd like to know how strongly to recommend PDFMaker over the native Word Add-in.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

--
Howard Kramer
Conference Coordinator
Accessing Higher Ground
303-492-8672
cell: 720-351-8668

AHEAD Association of Higher Education and Disability Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina

Confidentiality Notice: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain individual protected health information ("PHI") that is subject to protection under state and federal laws, or other privileged, confidential or proprietary information of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina that may not be further disclosed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.