WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Browser zooming sufficient for WCAG 1.4.4 (resize text)

for

Date: Jun 29, 2015 8:28AM

> Well yes, text size increases because you're effectively bumping up "how many physical pixels are mapped to a css pixel", which in turn makes your window's css width/height smaller, and so triggers smaller screen breakpoints...or am I missing something?

Yes, as you zoom in the text size becomes larger and the width gets smaller. This can produce problems between breakpoints because the author did not intend the larger text size at a given breakpoint. This is a different experience than someone with an odd width device gets. In their case the lower breakpoint is triggered and the font size remains as the author intended. This explanation was my response to your question of wouldn't this affect all users equally and thus not cause an accessibility issue.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Patrick H. Lauke
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:04 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Browser zooming sufficient for WCAG 1.4.4 (resize text)

> On 25 Jun 2015, at 19:48, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> With zoom, the text sizes increase but the lower resolution breakpoint remains causing the issue.

Well yes, text size increases because you're effectively bumping up "how many physical pixels are mapped to a css pixel", which in turn makes your window's css width/height smaller, and so triggers smaller screen breakpoints...or am I missing something?

P