WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: NFB petition for making ADA a parioty

for

Date: Jan 21, 2016 9:58AM

Ah, now that makes sense. Thanks, Jonathan.
But the petition's language needs to be cleaned up to specifically state what we're asking for.

From what I hear at Justice (all issues, not just ADA) and other agencies, there's not much that will happen for the next two years. It's a lame duck year so Obama won't move on any controversial issue unless he thinks it can help the Democrats in the November elections. Top brass at all agencies are already leaving town and subordinates are in charge who will only hold down the fort for the next 12-18 months while the administration turns over and new agency heads are appointed and approved.

Then again, they just might sneak it through under the election-year radar. Let's hope!

—Bevi Chagnon

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:39 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] NFB petition for making ADA a parioty

> Is this petition to press for the Sec. 508 Refresh?'

No, this petition is related to ADA regulations under Title II and Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Specifically the regulations would make clear that web content is covered under ADA in regards to areas of public accommodation and state and local governments.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom.com
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:35 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] NFB petition for making ADA a parioty

Birkir, I haven't heard anything conclusive about the release date of the Sec. 508 Refresh.
Rumors, yes. Concrete announcements, no.

Do you or anyone else on the list have more specific details?

The petition alludes (doesn't specifically state it) that they won't come out until 2018, 2 years from now.

Is this petition to press for the Sec. 508 Refresh?

Since the petition specially addresses only website accessibility, it's unclear what's being asked. Plus, it specifically states "regulations." I don't think the Refresh is considered a regulation (long-time Wash DC resident speaking here). I believe the "regulation" is the original Sec. 508 amendment from 1998, and the "refresh" is only an update to the standards and requirements to meet the regulation.

The Refresh covers a lot more than just websites; documents and other forms of ICT, cell phones, digital media, and much more.

Good idea for the petition, but not sure if this petition's wording is accurate or specific enough to get the job done.

—Bevi Chagnon

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:39 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] NFB petition for making ADA a parioty

Usually I wouldn't post campaign content to this email list, but this one is very relevant to our jobs, passions and, for many of us, our quality of life as disabled individuals.
I encourage people to sign the NFB petition:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/direct-us-department-justice-promptly-release-ada-internet-regulations

Thanks
-Birkir