WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WC3 2.0 questions

for

Date: Jul 28, 2016 2:37AM

Sean,

1. You did code an error message if an error is detected. Your other audience can access it except blind or visually impaired. At this point, I'd fail 4.1.2, Build all elements for accessibility. Obviously your error message is not accessible by screen readers.

3.3.1, 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 depend on clearly identifying the error; labeling the input field that generated the error; and providing suggestions on how to fix the error respectively. If you did those, then you did not violate any of those 3 success criteria. The issue is your code is not accessible by screen readers. So you did not build your page for accessibility.

2. I hate to sound repetitive but you did fail 4.1.2, Build all elements for accessibility. I would also fail your page for 1.3.1 - Info and relationships. If you structured your page properly, most SRs would read the entered value after a refresh. Again, it is hard to answer this one if I cannot see the page to make a logical assessment.

For both of the above, I'd use ARIA attributes to alert the SR. You also have to make the ARIA attributes fire up when the SR selects an element. I, as a SR user, might want to hear your error message again. Do not block from having this ability when my counterparts can read it as many times as possible.

Do you see why I failed 4.1.2? Of course, I am focusing on Level A and AA of WCAG and ignoring AAA.

Lastly, I would think that 2.4.3 – Focus Order would be the best for the frame focus. It is screwing up the focus order of your page when you set focus on it after a page refresh. If I tab or down-arrow, I'll read your frame and not the beginning of the page. You just confused me as a blind person because I am expecting to start from the top of the page reading downward sequentially.

I hope my answers help.

JP Jamous

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Sean Murphy
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:46 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] WC3 2.0 questions

All,

I have two queries in relation to web behaviour and how it fits into WCAG.

1. Person presses a button to perform an action. An error message appears notifying the user visually that the feature failed. The screen reader user is not being notified of the change. Is this 3.3.1, 3.3.3, 3.3.4? Hope I got those WCAG SC correct. :-)

In relation to applications that update input field like edit fields after someone presses a button. For example an calculator or dial-pad. If the screen reader is not being notified of the updated edit field. I would like to know the WCAG that this fails.

Focus landing on frame or iframe is not best practise? If so, which WCAG does this fail?

Sean