WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Logo as an h1??

for

Date: Mar 2, 2017 8:54AM

If it's just the typical active image that is linked to the home page, and appears in the typical page header location, that is actually a terrible use of an h1 element, since every page (assuming they all had the same page header) would all be "about" the same topic: your logo.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Tomlins Diane
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:28 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Logo as an h1??

Hello everyone :) Headings/logo question - we've had an accessibility consultant tell us that the logo on our sites should be wrapped in an <h1>. That was a popular practice years ago, but we no longer use it, haven't for years.

If the H1 is supposed to be the primary topic of the page you're on, how is announcing the company name that's in the logo, as an h1, make any sense?? That's really not the topic of the page. We have H1's on the pages that are actually relevant to the subject of the page and having the logo as an h1 would mean there would be 2 H1s on the page - one that makes sense, and one that really doesn't. That doesn't' seem to aid accessibility, in my opinion.

I'm inclined to push back on this recommendation, and I think I can make the argument, but I thought I'd ask those more experienced in this forum.
Thanks!

Diane R Tomlins
HCA Healthcare
Accessibility SME

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.