WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Logo as an h1??

for

Date: Mar 2, 2017 1:32PM

Whoops. Haha, sorry. This was obviously meant just for Brian!

Sent with Good (www.good.com)
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Beranek, Nicholas < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Sent: Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:01:08 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Logo as an h1??

Brian, keep it up dude; good conversation.

Everything ok??

Beautiful out here. Warm, sunny, fresh air. I'm learning a few things about where we're heading in the near future. It's bright, amigo.

Nick

Sent with Good (www.good.com<;http://www.good.com>;)
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Lovely, Brian (CONT) < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Sent: Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:40:52 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List

STOP!

There is an outline algorithm described in HTML5 that would allow the use of H1 tags as described in the article, but it has not actually been implemented. The current HTML 5.1 spec says 'There are currently no known native implementations of the outline algorithm in graphical browsers or assistive technology user agents, although the algorithm is implemented in other software such as conformance checkers and browser extensions. Therefore the outline algorithm cannot be relied upon to convey document structure to users. Authors should use heading rank (h1-h6) to convey document structure.-

https://www.w3.org/TR/html/sections.html#creating-an-outline

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Philip Kiff
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 2:32 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >

I meant to include this link to The Truth About Multiple H1 Tags in the
HTML5 Era from tutsplus:
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/the-truth-about-multiple-h1-tags-in-the-html5-era--webdesign-16824

On 2017-03-02 14:29, Philip Kiff wrote:
> I agree with the consensus here that putting your logo inside H1's
> throughout your site is generally not the best approach. However, I
> would put forward two special cases where the practice may be
> acceptable.
>
> 1. On your home page
> If you do not have your site name visible on your home page elsewhere
> other than in your logo, then I would place your logo inside an H1 on
> that page. The alternative text in that case would provide your site
> name on that single page on your site.
>
> 2. On HTML 5 sites that make full, proper use of header, article,
> section, footer tags While support for old user agents means that I
> personally continue to use only a single H1 on sites that I build,
> there is an argument to be made that a site that makes proper use of
> all the HTML 5 structures, it may in some cases make sense to include
> an H1 within the header and
> *another* H1 within the body. And if, as in case 1 above, your header
> does not have a plain text version of your site name, then it is
> conceivably correct to apply the H1 to your logo in the header.
> Theoretically, this should not affect your SEO, and various user
> agents should be able to manage such structures. But my impression is
> that we are still not at that point, and that for legacy reasons the
> best practice is still to stick with just a single H1 on each page in
> most use cases.
>
> Phil.
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.