WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: accessible campus map?

for

Date: Mar 29, 2017 1:48PM

There was a great example in the WebAIM training about this sort of situation. I am not the authority here, but what I recall was this: you can't make a complicated image "accessible", but you can try to think of it in terms of "what is the purpose of this image?" So for instance, the London underground map is complicated to look at even for sighted users, so how can it possibly be accessible? Well, why do people look at a map? To figure out how to get from one point to another, typically. The London underground map was made accessible first by providing a list of stops for different lines, so the information was available in a textual format. Then they added a web app to give directions based on a start and end point. In this instance, making it more accessible actually improved the experience for all users.

This doesn't necessarily translate to a campus map, but the general thought process may be of help. What information does the map convey, and is there a different format or approach to convey that information in a way that everybody can access?

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but maybe it can help....

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Tomlins Diane
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:40 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] accessible campus map?

Yesterday I was asked if there is a way to make a hospital's campus/building map accessible. What they have now is just a map image in a PDF, so that's not good. What would be the best method of doing this, providing it can be done? Only thing I can think of would be some kind of image map, but does that work in a pdf??

Any input or resources you can share greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Diane
Accessibility Advocate
HCA