WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

resize text SC 1.4.4

for

Date: Apr 7, 2017 1:44PM

Hi folks,
Question (and apologies in advance for the length): how common is it that people using IE would use the IE-only method of text resizing - View, Text Resizing - vs. using the browser's zoom function?? I have tested it, and with px font sizing, the text will not resize using this IE method. Note that we no longer support versions of IE below 9 and site visitors are notified of that. We used to use ems, then went back to px a couple of years ago (unfortunately I had no voice in that development decision).

Reading the SC 1.4.4 Resize Text, it says: "The author cannot rely on the user agent to satisfy this Success Criterion for HTML content if users do not have access to a user agent with zoom support. For example, if they work in an environment that requires them to use IE 6." And "Content satisfies the Success Criterion if it can be scaled up to 200%, that is, up to twice the width and height."

Given that browser zoom does work and our sites do work and are readable at that 200% level, it seems we should be fine and pass 1.4.4. Or, do we fail anyway because of this IE-only method that doesn't work with px?

A consultant has told us that because someone using IE (including version 10 and above and Edge) cannot resize text using this IE View, Text Size method, that we need to go back to em units. This would be a huge body of work since we have many components, widgets, apps etc. that make up our sites and it would be just because of this ONE method of text sizing in ONE browser. I even pulled analytics to find out what percentage of our visitors are using IE, as well as mobile vs. desktop.

Your thoughts and collective wisdom greatly appreciated.

Diane R Tomlins
Accessibility SME
HCA