WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: resize text SC 1.4.4

for

Date: Apr 7, 2017 2:37PM

Browser zoom may not work in *all* cases, especially in the case of mobile content. Keep in mind that for mobile devices, content that developers have built for mobile web content/sites can put *constraints* on the ability for content to zoom and the viewport size. So you still need to test and keep a watch on that.

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Principal ICT Accessibility Architect (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)

Cell: 703-371-5545 | <EMAIL REMOVED> | Oakton, VA | LinkedIn Profile | Office: 703-371-5545 | @ryladog

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Tomlins Diane
Sent: Friday, April 7, 2017 4:20 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] resize text SC 1.4.4

Thank you Jonathan, that's what I thought I understood the SC to be - but I wanted to be sure I didn't hit some 'gotcha' in there.

Fortunately, when you use zoom on our sites, you do not get horizontal scrollbars, even zoomed up as far as it will go. :)

Diane R Tomlins
Accessibility SME
HCA

>Diane, using the browser zoom will allow you to meet SC 1.4.4. You do not need to rely on the text only resize feature. While the SC does say text must be resized -- that is the outcome not the means. Notwithstanding, browser zoom that creates horizontal scrollbars while conformant is not optimal for users with low vision and does cut down significantly on reading speed for people with low vision.

>Jonathan

>Jonathan Avila
>Chief Accessibility Officer
>SSB BART Group
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>703.637.8957 (Office)