WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF files have user default language set for some tags (<P>, <LBody>, <Link>)

for

Date: Apr 9, 2017 10:38AM

So does this also imply that if I create a style for a right to left language and very specifically mark it as such, that all I would have to do to enter text in that language (which off course has its own keyboard layout) would be to switch to that style?

Thanks,

Jonathan

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 4:47 PM, Philip Kiff < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Dona Patrick wrote:
>> Is there any way to remove the language from all of the tag properties
>> in one go or am I doomed to do it for each and every tag?
>
> Like CommonLook Global Access mentioned by Logan, axesPDF provides a quick method to make such global changes. In axesPDF, you can mass edit any property on all selected tags in a PDF at once. But these are both very, very expensive pieces of software.
>
>
>> Are there settings I have enabled that I should disable to stop this
>> from happening in the future?
>
> You should be able to eliminate this problem by making sure that none of your styles in Word include language settings. The default language for the document should be set, plus the Normal style in your template should either have no language or should have the language that matches your global preference. All other styles should have no language attribute applied. I work in French and English simultaneously and I find it is easy to end up with a style with a language attribute applied accidentally - especially if you use the "Update [style] to match selection" feature on a file that has multiple language codes present.
>
> Also, still working in Word, you can use advanced find-and-replace to replace all instances of one language with another. Language appears as an option under the "Format" drop-down in the advanced search options in the Find and Replace dialog. If using this strategy, you may need to repeat the process in your headers, footers, and any text boxes or figures with text.
>
> Finally, always use the paste as "unformatted text" option so you don't bring language codes from other files or programs.
>
> Phil.
> > > >