WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: JAWS 18 "no more headings at level X in this section"

for

Date: Apr 14, 2017 2:36PM

Joseph,

As Birkir stated, this is very useful rather than unuseful. When it tells you that there are no H3 on the page, it means that a higher level such as H1 or H2 proceed this H3.

This helps a visually impaired user to map out the nested headings in his or her mind like a sighted user sees it. I was frustrated at first with this change, but I know like it. In fact, it helps me tremendously if I am assessing a page.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Joseph Sherman
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:07 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS 18 "no more headings at level X in this section"

I'm on a page with a bunch of regions and headings. The top of page is the banner and search region. The main region has search results which are labeled H3. When the page loads the cursor is at the top of the page in the banner region. I press "3" to go to the first h3 search results, but JAWS says ""no more headings at level X in this section".
Why does JAWS give this unhelpful response instead of going to the h3 in the Main section? When I press "3' in NVDA, it goes directly to the first search result, h3.

I find this happens in a number of pages and web applications and is very annoying to have to first be in the correct region, and then be able to go to the heading that I want. Sometimes this happens for h1 in the main region if I am in the banner region. Is there a setting or something I can change in JAWS?
Joseph