WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Types of documents that must be accessible

for

Date: Apr 20, 2017 7:41PM

> My reading of the US Federal Section 508 rules is that all documents provided by the contractor to the government and all government created documents must be accessible if possible. (I know of no great way to create a flow chart or Network topology diagram that is accessible).

Yes, in regards to ICT content that is not incidental to the contract -- it has to be compliant. For example,
* Contractor developer users IDE to code website for government. The IDE doesn't have to be accessible.
* Contractor provides report to government contracting represented -- it has to be accessible.
* Contractor provides janitorial services -- the services themselves are not ICT and not subject to Section 508
* Janitorial contractor provides portal for government staff to log in and view log of services -- covered under Section 508 as ICT provided to government.

In addition, the revised Section 508 standards cover all public content of agencies including social media and 9 different categories of official agency communication.
* An emergency notification;
* An initial or final decision adjudicating an administrative claim or proceeding;
* An internal or external program or policy announcement;
* A notice of benefits, program eligibility, employment opportunity, or personnel action;
* A formal acknowledgement or receipt;
* A survey questionnaire;
* A template or form; or
* Educational or training materials.
* Intranet web content designed

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Download our CSUN Presentations Here!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Cohn
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2017 2:20 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Types of documents that must be accessible

My reading of the US Federal Section 508 rules is that all documents provided by the contractor to the government and all government created documents must be accessible if possible. (I know of no great way to create a flow chart or Network topology diagram that is accessible).

Documents and sites that the contractor use internally are not required (unfortunately) to be accessible. The worst offender I have seen is that a significant number of federal contractors use the Deltec Time and Expense system which can in no way be described as accessible. The only way I know to check if I am entering time on the correct project and day is to view the ID of the entry field.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Apr 16, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Alan Zaitchik < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> For any government contracted work, apart from documents presented to the public over the web, would 508 accessibility requirements apply to other documents prepared in the course of executing the contract? I have in mind documents that government overseers of contracts might want to be given, whether for oversight and auditing purposes or for archival purposes.
> Examples include summaries of planning calls and teleconferences by the developers with or without government personnel. Do these summaries, often shared in emails, need to be 508 compliant?
> Does this depend on the specific federal (or state or other) agency? On the specific contract for the project in question?
> In any even what is the usual practice today?
>
>
> Thanks,
> A
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>