WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Re-order page content

for

Date: Jun 1, 2017 12:54PM

I am neither a programmer nor designer. I was simply asking how to do something.

As I read http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/C27.html DOM and visual order should be the same. If not, great. Instead, can you tell me the best way to put the instructions on the right side visually but before the form fields for AT users?

Joseph

> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Chagnon | PubCom
> Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 2:43 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Re-order page content
>
> 150 years' worth of scientific research on human behavior has proven beyond any
> designer's doubt that if you want something to be noticed and read by visually
> sighted people, put it on the right side of the page, preferably on the upper right
> side. Sighted people do not focus on the left side of the page. They focus -- and
> comprehend -- on items on the right side.
>
> I'm worried about some of the following assumptions in the original post.
>
> Quote: "This seems like bad design to me."
>
> That's your opinion as a programmer. But the designers' decision is spot on. They
> want sighted people to read the instructions first, before clicking into the login fields.
> You want the same end result for those using AT: read the instructions first before
> logging in.
>
> So the designers need the instructions placed on the right to meet the goal. And AT
> users need them placed before the login fields in the DOM.
>
> That's why we created stylesheets throughout all communication/publishing
> technologies and media; to allow the stylesheet to adjust the presentation to meet
> the users' needs.
>
> It's crazy to degrade the experience for sighted users to meet accessibility
> requirements for those use AT.
>
> Accommodate all users. A L L users.
>
>
> Quote: "I know that we want the visual order to match the DOM order."
>
> Why? Give me a good reason why this is beneficial to anyone, sighted or AT user or
> designer or programmer.
>
>
> Quote: "Basically this is the reverse of the standard "don't use CSS to break visual
> and DOM order"
>
> When did this become a standard? It might be a recommended practice in some
> situations, but it certainly doesn't fit all situations, including the one you've
> described.
>
> --Bevi Chagnon
> Award-winning designer in multiple disciplines and programmer with undergraduate
> and graduate study in human behavior, perception, and design.
>
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>