WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Creating a parallel PPT when the original is a mess??

for

Date: Jun 20, 2017 2:54PM

What if one were to use screen capture while delivering the presentation using the PPT. After capturing the video, add captions and then make the video of the presentation available on an accessible player?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ryan E. Benson
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:42 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Creating a parallel PPT when the original is a mess??

The answer is no not really, unless there is literally no other option. The times when I get this argument is either the author doesn't know/understand what needs to happen, or just doesn't want to make the effort.

I have been working at the federal level for 7 years, I can count the number of videos I have seen in a PPT on one hand. For the videos, if they're being embedded from say YouTube, you might want to put a link to the video versus the embed. This gives the accessibility of YouTube, vs the player is non-compliant in PPT - if I recall correctly.

The only way I can think a PPT having thousands of layers, would be if each slide had it's own look, or if the PPT was made in Office 2003 or something. I would apply one of the stock themes. My hunch is, that may solve a decent amount of issues. After that, look through for images and such that can be grouped together.

--
Ryan E. Benson

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Andrea Miralia < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

>
> Can someone here remind me if it is 508-compliant to create a new,
> plain, PPT to accompany an original PPT that is too complex and
> problematic to make compliant?
>
> I've gotten the go-ahead to do this instead of trying to
> backwards-repair a crazy PPT with audio, MPGS, and thousands of layers.
>
>
> Andréa Miralia
> Signature Consulting Group
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >