WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WCAG2ICT question

for

Date: Aug 1, 2017 8:47PM

> I don't find many people talk about WCAG2ICT and wondered if it was used a lot, and who uses it.

In summation -- WCAG 2 is technology neutral and applies very well to software and native apps including native mobile. It is functional based and thus nearly all of the success criteria are still very relevant today. There are some gaps that are being addressed for touch and small screens usage and some additional success criteria have been proposed to address issues for certain disabilities that can be better addressed today. These additions will not affect WCAG 2 but will be included in separate WCAG 2.1 document that allows for backwards compatibility and includes the existing criteria from WCAG 2.0 as well.

More specifically around WCAG to non-web ICT -- for the most part the changes are in wording only (document instead of web page, software rather than web page, etc.). There are four criteria that apply to sets of documents and sets of applications rather than sets of web pages. These include bypass blocks, consistent navigation, consistent identification, and multiple ways. Other SC such as 4.1.1 parsing are already scoped to only apply to content generated with markup languages -- so if a markup language is not used then it doesn't apply.

The real question is around knowing how you met the success criteria. There are sufficient and failure techniques for a number of technologies. There are some for Flash and Silverlight because these technologies were delivered through the web browser. But really these technologies are more similar to native content and in many cases can be run out of the browser as well. So you could look at the types of techniques used for these technologies and document similar techniques for the technology platform you are developing with.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of L Snider
Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:00 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] WCAG2ICT question

Hi All,

I know that WCAG2ICT was developed to cover non web information and communications technologies, more specifically for non web documents and software.

Do you use it? When do you use it? Do you use it for document audits (ie:
word)?

This was developed a while ago and today not much is non web (2012 seems like eons ago with tech). I have researched this and found that some people use it for apps, mostly native, but some use it for all apps. These apps are usually web dependent in some way. They say use it for non web documents, but then the document examples include emails and spreadsheets, which can be all web dependent in some way (or sent through the web). How does that work today with WCAG2IC?

Software today isn't all web based, but much of it now is cloud, so I am wondering the intricacies of that one as well.

I don't find many people talk about WCAG2ICT and wondered if it was used a lot, and who uses it.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Lisa