WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Re: Anti-spam email links in Javascript

for

Date: Apr 13, 2004 5:32AM

On: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:22:52 +0300 (EEST)
Jukka K. Korpela" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> You get spam no matter what you do, sooner or later.
> Some day this might
> be fixed by effective legal actions, but now it's a fact of life.
> Just don't make life any harder for that reason to people who already have
> their own difficulties.

I probably didn't spell this out initially, but if the accessibility requirements preclude a suitably secure option, then the result will be that no email addresses will be displayed at all. This is not the intention of the WAI, nor of myself, but it is the reality of the situation. Please try and look at this from the opposite angle - I have this information which has not previously been made available; how do I best present it to ALL of the public. Incidentally, since the site in question belongs to a public body, it is also subject to Freedom of Information Legislation, so refusing to display contact details is not a long-term option. This also means that some of the email addresses in question cannot be filtered, so simply accepting that this will expose the accounts to spam is not going to go down well.

Mike

Check planning applications from your office or home
www.edinburgh.gov.uk/planning
Pay for on-street parking in central Edinburgh from your mobile phone
www.edinburgh.gov.uk/mpark
More at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/onlineservices
This Email and files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for the sole use of the individual or organisation to whom they are addressed. If you have received this Email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete it without using, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing its contents to any other person. The Council has endeavoured to scan this Email message and attachments for computer viruses and will not be liable for any losses incurred by the recipient.

----
To subscribe, unsubscribe, suspend, or view list archives,
visit http://www.webaim.org/discussion/