WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Drop-down menus using javaScript to navigate and Accessibility Issues

for

Date: May 31, 2004 2:38AM

Hi,
While Julian's idea of the 'noscript-only' button is quite clever, I think that he may be missing a point. I have often seen it said that navigating a select box with the keyboard produces an onChange event every time that the user scrolls down a line, therefore changing the page location unnecessarily. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?
My suggestion would be that you set up a DHTML drop down menu. With careful styling you should be able to get the appearance that the client wants, but since the menu would be made up of HREF's you would have less trouble with accessibility, and no need for a GO button.

Mike

What's new on www.edinburgh.gov.uk
View building warrants online www.edinburgh.gov.uk/building
Keeping people up-to-date with Council decisions and business www.edinburgh.gov.uk/cpol
Is your garden a potential winner? www.edinburgh.gov.uk/keepedinburghgrowing
This Email and files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for the sole use of the individual or organisation to whom they are addressed. If you have received this Email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete it without using, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing its contents to any other person. The Council has endeavoured to scan this Email message and attachments for computer viruses and will not be liable for any losses incurred by the recipient.