E-mail List Archives

Thread: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver

for

Number of posts in this thread: 6 (In chronological order)

From: Chris Rodriguez
Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 8:35AM
Subject: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
No previous message | Next message

I recently heard about ChromeVox - accessibility extensions for Chrome. It
supposedly uses the latest web standards. If you use Chrome, would this be
a solid option for a screen reader? How does it compare to the support of
other software such as JAWS or VoiceOver?

Thanks,
Chris

From: Bryan Garaventa
Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 8:56AM
Subject: Re: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
Previous message | Next message

ChromeVox doesn't perform well in my experience when comparing accessibility
support in JAWS and NVDA using IE and FF, especially regarding complex
component types that require the use of ARIA. Part of this results in the
exposure of accessibility related properties and methods in Chrome itself,
so it's not just with ChromeVox, since you will see many of the same issues
when using JAWS or NVDA in Chrome.






----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Rodriguez" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
To: < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:35 AM
Subject: [WebAIM] ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver


>I recently heard about ChromeVox - accessibility extensions for Chrome. It
> supposedly uses the latest web standards. If you use Chrome, would this be
> a solid option for a screen reader? How does it compare to the support of
> other software such as JAWS or VoiceOver?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> > >

From: Steve Green
Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 9:36AM
Subject: Re: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
Previous message | Next message

This sort of product obviously does not work in other applications, nor until the machine has started and the browser has launched. It is therefore of very limited use except for people who are able to use a computer without a screen reader but still get some benefit from using one. I know some fully-sighted dyslexics like this.

We do a lot of user testing but I have never encountered anyone who uses ChromeVox or other products like it. If it can be installed on Google Chrome Books it may be more useful since all applications run through the browser, but Bryan's comments about the level of support would still apply.

Steve Green

-----Original Message-----
From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Bryan Garaventa
Sent: 22 February 2013 15:57
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver

ChromeVox doesn't perform well in my experience when comparing accessibility support in JAWS and NVDA using IE and FF, especially regarding complex component types that require the use of ARIA. Part of this results in the exposure of accessibility related properties and methods in Chrome itself, so it's not just with ChromeVox, since you will see many of the same issues when using JAWS or NVDA in Chrome.






----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Rodriguez" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
To: < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:35 AM
Subject: [WebAIM] ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver


>I recently heard about ChromeVox - accessibility extensions for Chrome. It
> supposedly uses the latest web standards. If you use Chrome, would this be
> a solid option for a screen reader? How does it compare to the support of
> other software such as JAWS or VoiceOver?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> > >

From: Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 10:32AM
Subject: Re: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
Previous message | Next message

We just did a survey on screen reader use on the web (for a CSUN presentation).
Out of 342 responses, 2 people indicated they used Chrome Vox (and
then as a secondary screen reader, I think both of them).


On 2/22/13, Steve Green < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> This sort of product obviously does not work in other applications, nor
> until the machine has started and the browser has launched. It is therefore
> of very limited use except for people who are able to use a computer without
> a screen reader but still get some benefit from using one. I know some
> fully-sighted dyslexics like this.
>
> We do a lot of user testing but I have never encountered anyone who uses
> ChromeVox or other products like it. If it can be installed on Google Chrome
> Books it may be more useful since all applications run through the browser,
> but Bryan's comments about the level of support would still apply.
>
> Steve Green
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Bryan Garaventa
> Sent: 22 February 2013 15:57
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
>
> ChromeVox doesn't perform well in my experience when comparing accessibility
> support in JAWS and NVDA using IE and FF, especially regarding complex
> component types that require the use of ARIA. Part of this results in the
> exposure of accessibility related properties and methods in Chrome itself,
> so it's not just with ChromeVox, since you will see many of the same issues
> when using JAWS or NVDA in Chrome.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris Rodriguez" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> To: < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:35 AM
> Subject: [WebAIM] ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
>
>
>>I recently heard about ChromeVox - accessibility extensions for Chrome. It
>> supposedly uses the latest web standards. If you use Chrome, would this
>> be
>> a solid option for a screen reader? How does it compare to the support of
>> other software such as JAWS or VoiceOver?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>> >> >> >
> > > > > > >

From: Jared Smith
Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 10:56AM
Subject: Re: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
Previous message | Next message

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Birkir R. Gunnarsson wrote:
> Out of 342 responses, 2 people indicated they used Chrome Vox (and
> then as a secondary screen reader, I think both of them).

In our most recent screen reader user survey only 4 of 1782
respondents (.2%) use Chrome as a primary screen reader. None of these
4 reported having a disability (probably evaluators or developers).
Details at http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey4/#primary

Jared

From: Bryan Garaventa
Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 12:28PM
Subject: Re: ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver
Previous message | No next message

In the past, some of our clients have assumed that testing for web
accessibility using ChromeVox means that their features are screen reader
accessible in general, which is not actually true in many cases. So if the
next logical question to this thread is 'can I test for accessibility using
ChromeVox', the answer is yes, but it doesn't mean much unless you also test
the same thing using JAWS and NVDA in IE and FF as well.





----- Original Message -----
From: "Jared Smith" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
To: "WebAIM Discussion List" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ChromeVox comparison to JAWS or VoiceOver


> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Birkir R. Gunnarsson wrote:
>> Out of 342 responses, 2 people indicated they used Chrome Vox (and
>> then as a secondary screen reader, I think both of them).
>
> In our most recent screen reader user survey only 4 of 1782
> respondents (.2%) use Chrome as a primary screen reader. None of these
> 4 reported having a disability (probably evaluators or developers).
> Details at http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey4/#primary
>
> Jared
> > >