WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Accessible schedule for festival events

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Jun 02 2017 9:40AM
Subject: Accessible schedule for festival events
No previous message | Next message →

Hello,

I will be helping a planner with a website for next year's weekend festival. We may want some schedule which shows the events happening at particular times in different locations. The way I've seen this before is to use a table with merged cells to block off the events for the times they occur. (example in Excel attached) However, it seems this may not be the best option from an accessibility perspective.

Has anyone developed a design to show activities happening throughout the day during an event in such a way that users can quickly identify when and where activities are happening and whether certain activities are happening at the same time? Can you direct me to any examples or training to help develop something to accomplish the goal?

Thanks,
Vanessa

Date: Fri, Jun 02 2017 9:54AM
Subject: Re: Accessible schedule for festival events
← Previous message | No next message

Hi Vanessa,

Depending on what you are using for a content management system, there may be ways to pull all the content in by metadata. We use Drupal and handle this through views and the footable module to create a "table-like" experience that is both responsive and accessible. I don't have a current example published at the moment but feel free to email me at = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = .

Kristina England, PMP
Web Services - Strategy, Research, and Communications
University Information Technology Services
UMass Office of the President
(774) 455-7874; = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Preast, Vanessa
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 11:40 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible schedule for festival events

Hello,

I will be helping a planner with a website for next year's weekend festival. We may want some schedule which shows the events happening at particular times in different locations. The way I've seen this before is to use a table with merged cells to block off the events for the times they occur. (example in Excel attached) However, it seems this may not be the best option from an accessibility perspective.

Has anyone developed a design to show activities happening throughout the day during an event in such a way that users can quickly identify when and where activities are happening and whether certain activities are happening at the same time? Can you direct me to any examples or training to help develop something to accomplish the goal?

Thanks,
Vanessa