WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up .pdfs

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Jun 13 2017 7:09AM
Subject: JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up .pdfs
No previous message | Next message →

Hello all,

I recently made an unpleasant discovery that JAWS won't read a few .pdfs that have tags and have recently had their reading order manually touched up. Instead of hearing the text of each .pdf, all I'm hearing is the dreaded "blank blank blank" and "tab tab tab tab" when I use the tab button Has anyone had anything similar happen? If so, how did you remediate it?

Many thanks,
LL

Date: Tue, Jun 13 2017 7:50AM
Subject: Re: JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up .pdfs
← Previous message | Next message →

I have never seen this, but I have seen a few instances where JAWS did not properly read a tagged PDF that was tagged correctly. This is with JAWS default settings. I know others who have had the same experience too.

Dave

David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer
Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
State Services for the Blind
2200 University Ave West, Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
Direct: 651-539-2294
Web | Twitter | Facebook

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lower, Laurie
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:10 AM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up .pdfs

Hello all,

I recently made an unpleasant discovery that JAWS won't read a few .pdfs that have tags and have recently had their reading order manually touched up. Instead of hearing the text of each .pdf, all I'm hearing is the dreaded "blank blank blank" and "tab tab tab tab" when I use the tab button Has anyone had anything similar happen? If so, how did you remediate it?

Many thanks,
LL

Date: Tue, Jun 13 2017 4:16PM
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi Laurie,

Is the PDF very large, like over 50 pages? I too have had this issue at times but know for a fact that the tags are present and correct. From memory there's a setting somewhere that references the size that could be adjusted.

Have you tried with NVDA, Voiceover or Read Aloud to see if the same thing happens?

Ally Woodford
Accessibility Services Manager
Media Access Australia

> On 13 Jun 2017, at 11:50 pm, Andrews, David B (DEED) < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I have never seen this, but I have seen a few instances where JAWS did not properly read a tagged PDF that was tagged correctly. This is with JAWS default settings. I know others who have had the same experience too.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer
> Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
> State Services for the Blind
> 2200 University Ave West, Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
> Direct: 651-539-2294
> Web | Twitter | Facebook
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lower, Laurie
> Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:10 AM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up .pdfs
>
> Hello all,
>
> I recently made an unpleasant discovery that JAWS won't read a few .pdfs that have tags and have recently had their reading order manually touched up. Instead of hearing the text of each .pdf, all I'm hearing is the dreaded "blank blank blank" and "tab tab tab tab" when I use the tab button Has anyone had anything similar happen? If so, how did you remediate it?
>
> Many thanks,
> LL
> > > >

Date: Wed, Jun 14 2017 6:52AM
← Previous message | No next message

Hey all,

Something strange happened between when I first posted and yesterday afternoon--I opened up the same documents and JAWS cooperated. I'm not sure what happened, but at least it's working now. Hmmmmmm.

Thank you for your input!

Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Allayne Woodford
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:16 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up .pdfs

Hi Laurie,

Is the PDF very large, like over 50 pages? I too have had this issue at times but know for a fact that the tags are present and correct. From memory there's a setting somewhere that references the size that could be adjusted.

Have you tried with NVDA, Voiceover or Read Aloud to see if the same thing happens?

Ally Woodford
Accessibility Services Manager
Media Access Australia

> On 13 Jun 2017, at 11:50 pm, Andrews, David B (DEED) < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I have never seen this, but I have seen a few instances where JAWS did not properly read a tagged PDF that was tagged correctly. This is with JAWS default settings. I know others who have had the same experience too.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer Minnesota Department of
> Employment and Economic Development State Services for the Blind
> 2200 University Ave West, Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
> Direct: 651-539-2294
> Web | Twitter | Facebook
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On
> Behalf Of Lower, Laurie
> Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:10 AM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS isn't reading tagged and recently touched up
> .pdfs
>
> Hello all,
>
> I recently made an unpleasant discovery that JAWS won't read a few .pdfs that have tags and have recently had their reading order manually touched up. Instead of hearing the text of each .pdf, all I'm hearing is the dreaded "blank blank blank" and "tab tab tab tab" when I use the tab button Has anyone had anything similar happen? If so, how did you remediate it?
>
> Many thanks,
> LL
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>