Thread Subject: Re: Gaps in Web Requirements -keyboardoperation
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Terri Youngblood
Date: Tue, Jan 09 2007 2:50 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "Re: Gaps in Web Requirements -keyboard operation"
- Previous message in thread: firstname.lastname@example.org: "Re: Gaps in Web Requirements -keyboard operation"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
Can someone remind me why we have "where the function itself or the result of performing a function can be discerned textually.". As part of the current standard and why we did not just stop at the word keyboard?
Sent via BlackBerry from EarthLink Wireless.
From: Andi Snow-Weaver < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:36:37
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: Re: [teitac-websoftware] Gaps in Web Requirements - keyboard
At last week's meeting, we discussed the idea of having a keyboard
requirement for Web in 508 as WCAG 2.0 has. There was general consensus for
the idea but concern that it should not be applied in cases where the
content is known to be rendered on a device that doesn't have a keyboard. I
took an action item to propose something that includes some kind of
qualifier phrase like "when software is designed to run on a system that
has a keyboard" (from 21(a)).
So, here is a proposal for discussion on the list and we will discuss at
For Web content or applications that are designed to run on a system that
has a keyboard, product functions shall be executable from a keyboard where
the function itself or the result of performing a function can be discerned
When we discussed the existing 508 software requirement (21(a)), concern
was raised that the phrase "discerned textually" is unclear. But no one had
a better proposal.
- Next message in Thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "Re: Gaps in Web Requirements -keyboard operation"
- Previous message in Thread: email@example.com: "Re: Gaps in Web Requirements -keyboard operation"