Thread Subject: General Issues: AT responsibility
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Andi Snow-Weaver
Date: Tue, Jan 09 2007 3:00 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Lybarger, Barbara (MOD): "Re: General Issues: AT responsibility"
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
In the course of our discussions on the exisiting 508 provisions, some
other, more general issues popped up.
One of these is the issue of AT responsibility to support what IT provides.
Mike Fratkin brought up the issue during the discussion on row and column
headers.  It is often the case that the IT software or website is
providing accessibility information correctly through a standard
accessibility API, however, the AT is not extracting the information and
providing it to the user.
Someone else mentioned that screen row and column header information would
be useful to screen magnifier users but that, even though the information
is available to the AT, screen magnifiers don't provide the information to
508 currently does not enforce any requirements on AT to support what IT
provides. Thoughts on this topic?
- Next message in Thread: Lybarger, Barbara (MOD): "Re: General Issues: AT responsibility"
- Previous message in Thread: None