Thread Subject: Re: "closed software"
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Brett, Thomas F
Date: Tue, Jan 16 2007 5:15 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "Re: "closed software""
- Previous message in thread: Lazzaro, Joe (ITD): "Re: "closed software""
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
JT wrote: "More to the point, can't the feds *require* the latter"
The feds won't be able to require that a manufacture produce a product that meets accessibility standards. However, the Feds can be required to purchase products that only meet the accessibility standards. If the Federal Government complies with the requirements in the FAR, they will only purchase the most conformant products.
Under the Rehabilitation Act there is no authority to direct company xyz to produce a product that meets the Section 508 Standards. However, the next best thing is that the Federal Government will not purchase from company xyz if it doesn't have a conformant product.