Thread Subject: Re: Information regarding access to BIOS
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Robinson, Norman B - Washington, DC
Date: Mon, Feb 05 2007 7:03 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Thomas Albin: "Re: Information regarding access to BIOS"
- Previous message in thread: Thomas Albin: "Information regarding access to BIOS"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
I don't know exactly the origin of this conversation, but I'm
hoping OpenBIOS might be worth reading in content of your below message.
Norman B. Robinson
Section 508 Coordinator
IT Governance, US Postal Service
From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
[mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Thomas
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 12:03 PM
To: TEITAC desktop/portable (hardware) subcommittee
Subject: [teitac-hardware] Information regarding access to BIOS
I had an opportunity to discuss the practicality of developer access
to, and modification of, the BIOS for a device with some
knowledgeable Computer Scientists who are outside of the
manufacturing community. The substance of the response was that they
thought manufacturers would be reluctant to do this.
They thought that the most likely concern would be that altering the
BIOS would unintentionally change the functioning of some other part
of the device. Their advice was that this is exactly why drivers
Second, although I was not able to well-articulate the need for
access to the BIOS, the suggestion was that AT devices might need
access to other parts of the system, e.g. the video display card.
Finally, it was pointed out that many manufacturers do not develop or
write their own BIOS; instead they license it from a vendor such as
Phoenix. Consequently they are at least one step removed from direct
access to and knowledge of the BIOS.
- Next message in Thread: Thomas Albin: "Re: Information regarding access to BIOS"
- Previous message in Thread: Thomas Albin: "Information regarding access to BIOS"