Thread Subject: Re: If 508 applies to a part,then it applies to the whole?
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Sailesh Panchang
Date: Wed, Mar 07 2007 6:35 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: David Poehlman: "Re: If 508 applies to a part,then it applies to the whole?"
- Previous message in thread: David Poehlman: "Re: If 508 applies to a part,then it applies to the whole?"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
>I would be surprised if almost all laboratory equipment such as
> chromatographs/spectrometers/balances and just about any recently
> developed stuff didn't qualify as "electronic". The fact that it uses
>software and almost inevitably connects to data-handling systems
>essentially demands that the intent to assure accessibility extends
Here is a contrary view: I disagree. I do not believe that is the intent
merely because these gadgets can be connected to data handling equipment for
further storage / processing of their results.
Section 1194.4 (definitions specifically contains an example of a system
that might contain embedded software but is not EIT: medical equipment where
information technology is integral to its operation.
The definition is fairly elaborate when it states: system / subsystem used
in the creation, conversion, or duplication of data or information . It
excludes systems whose principal function is not the acquisition, storage,
manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching,
or reception of data or information.
Chromatography is a method of chemical analysis and processing
spectrometer is an optical instrument used to measure properties of light
These gadgets use electronics but are not primarily meant for data handling.
Senior Accessibility Engineer
Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
Reston VA 20191
Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)
E-mail: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
- Next message in Thread: David Poehlman: "Re: If 508 applies to a part,then it applies to the whole?"
- Previous message in Thread: David Poehlman: "Re: If 508 applies to a part,then it applies to the whole?"