Thread Subject: Re: Subpart A- Draft - (g) Products with narrowdelineated use, Add Personal Use to front.
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Gregg Vanderheiden
Date: Wed, Mar 14 2007 6:00 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Deborah Buck: "Re: Subpart A- Draft - (g) Products with narrowdelineated use, Add Personal Use to front."
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
First - thanks for pulling all this together. Lots of work.
(g) Products with narrow delineated use, no operating system or software,
no capacity for assistive technology to be attached to the product, such as
personal use calculators, for which an agency can readily document the
availability of specialized products, just as a talking calculator or
calculator with large visual display, which can and will be purchased to
meet individual needs, are not required to comply with this part.
In general I think this is good. I wondering if it is really needed. I
think it is covered by the old language. But it is suble and this can help
people get past the "small personal items" issue.
1) I think it needs to have "personal use" added to the front so it reads
"Personal use product with narrow..etc" .
Shared or public products should not get pushed into this category.
"Narrow use" by itself is not clear enough and is undefined. I thought it
meant 'not multipurpose" but could also be construed to mean only used by
people in a group or office or floor or..
2) The biggest concern I've heard raised about this (other than no
inadvertantly creating a loophole that can be expanded to cover Mack trucks)
was that agencies say they are willing but it isn't in their budget - so
nothing happens. To make sure this isn't misapplied to things beyond
the ability of departments to buy easily lets add "from standard office
supplies budget" so it reads
which can and will be purchased from the standard office supplies budget to
meet individual needs
- Next message in Thread: Deborah Buck: "Re: Subpart A- Draft - (g) Products with narrowdelineated use, Add Personal Use to front."
- Previous message in Thread: None