Thread Subject: Re: Quick Start Tips for wiki editing
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Jared Smith
Date: Thu, Oct 19 2006 10:00 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Andi Snow-Weaver: "Re: Quick Start Tips for wiki editing"
- Previous message in thread: Andi Snow-Weaver: "Quick Start Tips for wiki editing"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
On 10/19/06, Andi Snow-Weaver < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> Here are some quick start tips for the wiki that I sent to someone this
> morning. I thought they might be useful for others.
Very excellent! I'll move the new content here over to the wiki
> For headings, enclose text in equal (=) signs. For example:
> = 1st Level =
> == 2nd Level ==
You typically want to start with a 2nd level header at the top of your
content or have multiple 2nd level headers for sections of your page.
Subsections would be 3rd level headers and so forth. This is best
practice because there is already a 1st level header (the page title)
on each page. This facilitates screen reader navigation and semantic
> For unordered lists, use asterisks (*). For example
> * List item 1 *
> * List item 2 *
> For ordered lists, use number symbols (#).
> # .. #
> # .. #
> # .. #
> ## .. ##
The * and the # signs should only appear at the first of each line.
They are not needed at the end of each line.
> To emphasize text, enclose it in two single quotes(') for italics and three
> single quotes for bold
> 'text you want italicized'
> ''text you want in bold''
And five of them ('''very important text''') will make text bold
and italicized (in case you REALLY want to emphasize something).
> Links are a little trickier and I often have to look up how to do them in
> the help text. Links are enclosed in square brackets ([ ... ]).
> Single brackets are external links and double brackets are internal links
> (internal to the wiki site).
Here's how I remember it (pretty much just reiterating what Andi wrote):
- Links to pages within the wiki use double brackets with the document
title between the brackets -
[[TEITAC Wiki]] or [[Talk:Themes]].
- Use the pipe | to display a label other than the document title -
[[TEITAC Wiki|Home page]] or [[Talk:Themes|Discuss this page]]
- External links can be entered directly -
- To change the label for the external link, place a space between the
URL and the label and surround both with single brackets -
[http://access-board.gov Access Board]
> Work on small sections at a time because the server timeout is pretty small
> - 15 minutes maybe.
It was 24 minutes. I have now increased this timeout period to one hour.
> Use Show Preview to inspect it before you save it. But don't forget to save
> or your work will be lost.
And add a quick notation in the Summary field to summarize the edit you made.
- Next message in Thread: Andi Snow-Weaver: "Re: Quick Start Tips for wiki editing"
- Previous message in Thread: Andi Snow-Weaver: "Quick Start Tips for wiki editing"