Thread Subject: Re: 21 g - revision
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Barrett, Don
Date: Mon, Mar 26 2007 2:25 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "Re: 21 g - revision"
- Previous message in thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "21 g - revision"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
"Applications shall display themselves utilizing user selected contrast
and color selections and other individual display attributes when the
availability of those selections are developed and documented as
standard operating system functions."
From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
[mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Gregg
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 4:58 PM
To: 'TEITAC Web/Software Subcommittee'
Subject: [teitac-websoftware] 21 g - revision
The proposed (new) wording is:
Applications shall utilize user selected contrast and color selections
and other individual display attributes when the availability of those
selections are developed and documented according to industry standards.
I'm not sure this will work. The proposed new wording appears to not
be testable as formulated and appears to be more limited than the
1) What if there are no industry standards? Do you not have to
respect user settings?
- What are the industry standards for documentation?
- What are the industry standards for development.
We would need to define these terms and point to the industry standard
in order to allow anyone to use this.
2) This provision seems to say that you don't have to honor user
settings if the settings are not developed using the standards.
3) The term 'utilize' is also unclear. Does this mean follow? Or just
use them in their calculations?
The old wording had no such conditions so this would be considerably
Can we use wording like WCAG?
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
<http://trace.wisc.edu/ <http://trace.wisc.edu/> > FAX 608/262-8848
DSS Player at http://tinyurl.com/dho6b <http://tinyurl.com/dho6b>