Thread Subject: Re: Allen's proposal for a newsection oncontent
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Lybarger, Barbara (MOD)
Date: Mon, Apr 02 2007 9:35 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Barrett, Don: "Re: Allen's proposal for a newsection oncontent"
- Previous message in thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: Allen's proposal for a newsection oncontent"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
Is this mixing up the issues involving color with those involving
contrast? At least the way I've always thought about those two
The color provision is about not using color alone (i.e. without
text) to convey information, because folks who are color blind or have
low to no vision can't distinguish the color.
The contrast provision is about text on a background not using
colors (or grays) the density of which are so close together that they
are hard to distinguish for folks who are color blind or who have low
The issue you seem to be dealing with is really the latter. The
existing 508 approach, although needing better specificity, deals with
the degree of contrast between colors. AT doesn't really address the
contrast issue for the reasons you identify. Given this, the standard
may need to at least stay as is (i.e. contrast is in the eye of the
beholder thru manual testing), unless someone has comes up with a viable
means of automated measurement of contrast.
Hoping this is helpful,
- Next message in Thread: Barrett, Don: "Re: Allen's proposal for a newsection oncontent"
- Previous message in Thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: Allen's proposal for a newsection oncontent"