Thread Subject: Re: Subpart A Definitions-Video Description-Action Needed
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Larry Goldberg
Date: Tue, May 01 2007 9:10 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: geoff freed: "Re: Subpart A Definitions-Video Description-Action Needed"
- Previous message in thread: geoff freed: "Re: Subpart A Definitions-Video Description-Action Needed"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
The Telecommunications Act and the Federal Communications Commission both
use the term "video description" which is the most commonly used term to
refer to description of video materials; "audio description" has been more
commonly associated with live theatrical description. I would suggest we
continue to use the term used since 1990 and adopted by the Federal
government: "video description."
Gerald Freda wrote:
> To be consistent and not confuse the definition label I support and
> recommend the adoption of "audio description" as indicated within 1194.24 of
> the technical standard as the definition label.
> I also agree with Goeff that since the 1194.24 technical standard is not
> only referencing video and including multimedia products that the selected
> language should not limiting nor restrictive in nature.
> I would recommend a few changes to the definition submitted by Goeff as
> indicated below (replace VIDEO with AUDIO as the recommended language, and
> replace cannot with may not).
> AUDIO DESCRIPTION: Audio descriptions make visual media (such as television
> programs or training videos) accessible to people who are blind or visually
> impaired. They provide descriptive narration of key visual elements, such
> as sets, costumes and other important on-screen information that may not be
> conveyed by the main audio track alone.
- Next message in Thread: geoff freed: "Re: Subpart A Definitions-Video Description-Action Needed"
- Previous message in Thread: geoff freed: "Re: Subpart A Definitions-Video Description-Action Needed"