Thread Subject: Re: BIOS Summary, Questions,Answers and Recommendations
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Robinson, Norman B - Washington, DC
Date: Mon, May 07 2007 10:55 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Bailey Bruce: "Re: BIOS Summary, Questions,Answers and Recommendations"
- Previous message in thread: Takemura, Michael (HP Accessibility): "BIOS Summary, Questions,Answers and Recommendations"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
I'll chime in with a hearty "no new sections" chant.
Firmware is software embedded in hardware. Abstractly we shouldn't much care if the installation process is "flashing" after flipping a switch or "installing" after insertion of a CDROM. There should be no new exceptions simply because something is firmware.
- the existing BIOS implementations that provide video screens to modify BIOS settings are _SOFTWARE_ and should follow the software provisions.
- the BIOS chipset themselves are somewhat standardized and if any Section 508 hardware provisions apply, they should already be present.
- if vendors do this on the motherboard I would expect this to be currently categorized as "1194.25 Self-contained, closed products" until an operating system is installed. That brings up another interesting question if vendors can claim "compatible AT" includes having a specific OS installed and using specific software for access.
Norman B. Robinson
Section 508 Coordinator
IT Governance, US Postal Service
From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Takemura, Michael (HP Accessibility)
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 12:40 PM
To: TEITAC General Interface Accessibility Subcommittee
Subject: [teitac-general] [teitac-hardware] BIOS Summary, Questions,Answers and Recommendations
From previous discussion on BIOS.
- Next message in Thread: Bailey Bruce: "Re: BIOS Summary, Questions,Answers and Recommendations"
- Previous message in Thread: Takemura, Michael (HP Accessibility): "BIOS Summary, Questions,Answers and Recommendations"