Thread Subject: Re: Platform issues - Provision
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Andi Snow-Weaver
Date: Wed, Jun 27 2007 6:55 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: Platform issues - Provision"
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
Here's where we have ended up on the platform issue.
We have Peter's proposal for a provision (slightly reworded by me):
<beginning of provision>
Software that is both a 'platform', and an 'application' running on another
* a. expose the underlying platform's color, contrast, and other individual
display settings to applications running within its platform, so that these
applications can meet <reference Display Attributes provision >.
* b. define, expose, and translate accessibility service information
between applications running within its platform and the underlying
platform - so that those applications can meet <reference AT
Interoperability provision .
* c. mediate any keyboard control and navigation between the applications
and the underlying platform, to provide for a consistent navigation
mechanism between user interface elements inside the application and those
outside of it.
<end of provision>
We're still looking for suggestions on better wording for item c. Anybody
have any ideas?
The issue is the ability to navigate into and out of an application using
the keyboard. How about this?
c. provide a consistent mechanism for moving the keyboard focus into and
out of an application
Please also see my next post on definitions related to platform issues.
 Display Attributes: Applications shall utilize user selected contrast
and color selections and other individual display attributes when the
availability of those selections are developed and documented according to
--- Note that we have an in process action item to reword this to resolve
the testability issues with "other individual display attributes" and
"documented according to industry standards".
 AT Interoperability:
- Next message in Thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: Platform issues - Provision"
- Previous message in Thread: None