Thread Subject: Transcripts not required?
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Jared Smith
Date: Fri, Jul 20 2007 12:40 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Karen Peltz Strauss: "Re: Transcripts not required?"
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
I apologize that this question is coming a bit late in the process.
We have found that transcripts are the preferred mechanism for
multimedia access by some users, particularly users with certain
cognitive, learning, or language disabilities, the deaf, and even many
screen reader users. They are the only method of access for the
deaf-blind. I am wondering if the a/v subcommittee could please
provide information regarding why transcripts are not a requirement in
the existing draft requirements.
The following post did reference an idea that they *could* be
required, but I was unable to find any further discussion on this
possibility - http://teitac.org/mailarchives/mail_thread.php?thread=724&id=3184#post2
If the issue is WCAG 2.0 harmonization and the fact that transcripts
are given a Level AAA designation, I have posted this same question to
the WCAG working group as to why transcripts are given very little
relevance and hope that this will be resolved.
- Next message in Thread: Karen Peltz Strauss: "Re: Transcripts not required?"
- Previous message in Thread: None