Thread Subject: Re: WCAG 1.3.3 language addition - my action itemfrom a few weeks ago
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Loretta Guarino Reid
Date: Wed, Aug 08 2007 2:25 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: WCAG 1.3.3 language addition - my actionitemfrom a few weeks ago"
- Previous message in thread: David Poehlman: "Re: WCAG 1.3.3 language addition - my actionitemfrom a few weeks ago"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
WCAG means "rely on". Color, shape, or position can be helpful
descriptions in instructions, as long as they are not the only means
On 8/8/07, Peter Korn < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> Hi Sailesh,
> The first sentence comes directly from WCAG 2.0, and so our friends from
> WAI are perhaps in the best position to answer this.
> Personally, I think we should strongly discourage folks from needing to
> use this provision. The cases in which instructions (or worse, the
> content itself) needs to rely on shape, size, location, orientation,
> etc. should be *vanishingly* small.
> Peter Korn
> Accessibility Architect,
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> >> "Instructions provided for understanding and operating content do not rely
> >> on shape, size, visual location, or orientation of components.
> >> Additional information for use by assistive technologies - such as
> >> alternate text to describe necessary visual cues for understanding and
> >> operating the content, or programmatic encoding of relationships between
> >> objects that is necessary for understanding and operating the content, is
> >> sufficient."
> > Comments:
> > Does this mean : Instructions themselves do not rely on shape, location,
> > etc. of components
> > Or, does it mean:
> > The insttructions do not reference the shape, location, etc. of components?
> > Sailesh Panchang
> > Senior Accessibility Engineer
> > Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
> > 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
> > Reston VA 20191
> > Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)
> > E-mail: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
- Next message in Thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: WCAG 1.3.3 language addition - my actionitemfrom a few weeks ago"
- Previous message in Thread: David Poehlman: "Re: WCAG 1.3.3 language addition - my actionitemfrom a few weeks ago"