Thread Subject: Meeting notes from Septembver 28, 2007
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Andrew Kirkpatrick
Date: Fri, Sep 28 2007 2:55 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Andrew Kirkpatrick: "Re: Meeting notes from Septembver 28, 2007"
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
Audio Video Subcommittee Meeting
September 28, 2007
Very productive meeting today. Discussion time was spent mostly discussing a proposal to address captioning in Section 4 and two new definitions that would be needed as a result.
I. The group came to consensus on the proposal for 4-A (Caption Playback). The proposed text is:
Analog television, digital television and tuners, computer equipment, and other products must provide support for closed and open captions:
1. Products that fall under the regulation of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) must provide support for TV closed captions and open captions.
Such equipment must either pass TV caption data to the caption decoding circuitry of DTV displays for decoding as displayed text, or decode TV caption data and pass on a decoded ("open-captioned") video signal to the display.
2. Products that do not fall under the regulation of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), including personal video display devices and software players must provide support for a functional equivalent to TV closed captions.
Such equipment must either pass TV caption data to the caption decoding circuitry of DTV displays for decoding as displayed text or decode a functional equivalent to TV closed captions and pass on a decoded ("open-captioned") video signal to the display.
This was agreed to with the caveat:
A) we need to modify the language of the second part of the 4-A.2 section starting "Such equipment must either pass..." to indicate what is being passed on
II. The subcommittee needs to clarify the text in the two definitions that would be needed due to being referenced <<796435.html>> by the new 4-A text:
TV closed captions:
Captions encoded using CEA 608 format and delivered in analog television signals, or Captions encoded in CEA 708, carried in digital TV signals to players that meet the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) caption playback requirements [do we need a specific reference to the FCC standard? Suspect so...].
Functional equivalent to TV closed captions:
Encoding of features equivalent to CEA 708 and display of caption text must comply with Â§3-B (contrast), 3-E (Color Adjustment), and 1.2-I (text size) directly or through assistive technology in order to provide a functional equivalent of the FCC primary user-controllable features.
-- reference opacity, and white on black or black on white [3-B]
III. Discussion of caption controls on remotes will occur next meeting. Robert Blanchard will post a request for a specific annotation of requirements to the AV list.
The next meeting will be scheduled by the AV chairs
- Next message in Thread: Andrew Kirkpatrick: "Re: Meeting notes from Septembver 28, 2007"
- Previous message in Thread: None