Thread Subject: Definition of auto-updating
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Andi Snow-Weaver
Date: Wed, Oct 10 2007 6:15 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Peter Wallack: "Re: Definition of auto-updating"
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
We still are not closed on a definition of "auto-updating". Here is the
object whose appearance is modeling one or more data values, such as a
status monitor, or stock ticker and which is updated autonomously by
The term is used in the Pausing provision. 
TEITAC requested that we define the term. The term came from the WCAG
Pausing provision. WCAG does not define it but relies on additional
material that sufficiently explains it. 
Some have concerns that the draft definition above is too broad because
there is no consideration for the frequency of the update; that is, once a
day is not a problem. Others have countered that even infrequent updates
are a problem if you happen to be reading the page at the time.
Anybody have any recommendations on modifying this definition or should we
refer to the WCAG additional explanatory material? ;
- Next message in Thread: Peter Wallack: "Re: Definition of auto-updating"
- Previous message in Thread: None