Thread Subject: Re: AT support in 508 and 255
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Brooner Mary-AMB004
Date: Tue, Mar 04 2008 7:00 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Laughton, Mary Frances: ICT: "Re: AT support in 508 and 255"
- Previous message in thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: AT support in 508 and 255"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
TIA has followed the discussion and agrees with ATIA that the better
course of action is not to include an AT clause in the standards that
would require AT to use Accessibility APIs.
In the world of telecommunications equipment API's exist but they are
not called "accessibility" APIs.. Further under Section 255,
Telecommunications equipment is not required to be compatible with AT
software; rather it is required to be compatible with commonly used
assistive devices, where readily achievable.
Further, as TIA understands the comments and concerns of ATIA, what's
important is that accessibility with AT is achieved, not the particular
technology or method used to achieve it. This is akin to technology
neutrality, a core principle of TIA and its members.
TIA Rep to TEITAC
- Next message in Thread: Laughton, Mary Frances: ICT: "Re: AT support in 508 and 255"
- Previous message in Thread: Hoffman, Allen: "Re: AT support in 508 and 255"