Thread Subject: Re: Definition Consensus Decision: Captions
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Mike Paciello
Date: Sun, Mar 09 2008 5:00 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Mike Paciello: "Definition Consensus Decision: Captions"
- Previous message in thread: Mike Paciello: "Definition Consensus Decision: General Flash and Red Flash Thresholds"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
Thanks Geoff. EWG will make that correction.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Geoff Freed [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ]
> Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:50 PM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ; TEITAC Committee
> Subject: Re: [teitac-committee] Definition Consensus
> Decision: Captions
> Small correction:
> "Note 1: Captions are similar to dialog only subtitles..."
> should be changed to "Note 1: Captions are similar to
> dialog-only subtitles..."
> On Mar 9, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Mike Paciello wrote:
> > Following is the definition for Captions. If you do not agree that
> > this definition is acceptable, please reply and state your reason.
> > Please note that captions previously achieved committee consensus.
> > However, to better clarify the definition, Captions has
> been revised
> > as follows:
> > Captions
> > "Synchronized text equivalents for audio information.
> > Note 1: Captions are similar to dialog only subtitles
> except captions
> > convey not only the content of spoken dialog, but also text
> > equivalents for other (non-spoken) audio information including
> > important sound effects, music, laughter, speaker
> identification and
> > location.
> > Note 2: Captions can be real text that can be turned on and off
> > (closed captions) or images of text embedded in video (open
> > Note 3: Captions should not obscure or obstruct relevant or key
> > information.
> > Note 4: In some countries captions are called subtitles."
- Next message in Thread: Mike Paciello: "Definition Consensus Decision: Captions"
- Previous message in Thread: Mike Paciello: "Definition Consensus Decision: General Flash and Red Flash Thresholds"