Thread Subject: View Point Opinion: 3-SS Visual Indication of Keyboard Shortcuts
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
From: Andi Snow-Weaver
Date: Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:35 PM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Judy Brewer: "Keyboard Shortcuts"
- Previous message in thread: None
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
IBM notes that this provision is not included in either of the
international accessibility standards for Web (WCAG 2.0) or software (ISO
9241 part 171), Its inclusion would create a unique requirement for the US
assuming other countries harmonize with international standards. For most
desktop software applications, this is not a problem as this feature is a
widely accepted convention followed by most, but not all, platforms and
applications. IBM acknowledges, however, that failure to identify the
keyboard shortcuts in the user interface significantly impacts the
productivity of sighted keyboard-only users and recommends that this
provision be included as an advisory note.
- Next message in Thread: Judy Brewer: "Keyboard Shortcuts"
- Previous message in Thread: None