Thread Subject: Re: 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171
This archival content is maintained by WebAIM and NCDAE on behalf of TEITAC and the U.S. Access Board . Additional details on the updates to section 508 and section 255 can be found at the Access Board web site.
Date: Wed, Nov 08 2006 9:50 AM
- Return to this mailing list's archives
- View all messages in this thread
- Next message in thread: Jonathan Avila: "Re: 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171"
- Previous message in thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "Re: 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171"
- Messages sorted by: Author | Thread | Date
Sounds reasonable and prudent to me...thanks
From: "Gregg Vanderheiden" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ; "'TEITAC Web/Software Subcommittee'" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: 11/7/06 7:54 PM
Subject: RE: [teitac-websoftware] 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171
The three second "exception" was added because
1) it is useful to sometimes highlight something for the user. (good for
cognitive disabilities too).
2) if it stops relatively quickly - it doesn't block use of page - only
delays it briefly
3) it avoids having to require authors to include a user interface element
to stop it if it just attracts attention then quits.
4) 3 seconds was a consensus of 'long enough to notice' but 'short enough
to not delay access unnecessarily.
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf
> Of Luke Kowalski
> Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:18 PM
> To: TEITAC Web/Software Subcommittee
> Subject: [teitac-websoftware] 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171
> (g went out in an out of sequence message)
> Here is 1194.22 h, as in Henry, mapping 1194.21 to iso 9241-171
> Summary: I am not sure how folks feel about the 3 second rule
> in the iso standards, but the essense is the same in both
> (provide alternatives to animated version)
> (h) When animation is displayed, the information shall be
> displayable in at least one non-animated presentation mode at
> the option of the user
> 10.8.1 Provide non-animated alternatives to animations When
> animation is displayed that will last for more than three
> seconds, and the user is expected to carry out other
> activities at the same time, software shall give the user the
> option to choose an alternative non-animated version of the
> same content. If the animation is not task relevant then a
> version where the non-task-relevant item is missing would conform.
> luke kowalski, CPE
> Corporate UI Architect
> http://ui.oracle.com <http://ui.oracle.com/> Redwood Shores,
> CA 94065 650 506 1227
- Next message in Thread: Jonathan Avila: "Re: 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171"
- Previous message in Thread: Gregg Vanderheiden: "Re: 1194.21 h to ISO-9241-171"