Web and Software
Committee Workscope and Goals
This subcommittee will examine the following in Section 508:
- 1194.21 Software applications and operating systems
- 1194.22 Web-based intranet and internet information and applications
We will be:
- Looking for gaps
- Looking for problems
- Considering the themes throughout
Analysis of existing provisions in 1194.21 and 1194.22
To focus the work, the subcommittee has organized the provisions of 1194.21 and 1194.22 into four groups:
- Group A: Interaction and operating system
- Group B: Requirements by content type
- Group C: Programmatic exposure of information
- Group D: Correct coding
Possible new provisions for Web and Software
In the course of our discussions on the existing provisions, a number of issues were identified:
- Gaps in Web requirements (1194.22)
- General issues related to Web and Software requirements
- Cognitive Recommendations
This subcommittee will also investigate the issue of content which is a gray area in Section 508 right now.
- Content: General Issues Related to Content
- Content: Content Format Proposal
- Content: Justification for Email and Attachments
- Content Generation: Requirements for Web and Software
Subcommittee Deliverables & Plan
- Latest version of "User Interface and Electronic Documents" provisions
- Harmonization analysis with WCAG 2.0 and ISO 9241 Part 171
- Interim reports to TEITAC
- Project Plan
- Final Deliverables
- Andi Snow-Weaver, IBM
- Curtis Chong, NFB
A partial list of this sub-committee participants can be found at Web and Software Subcommittee Participants.
- All communications are accessible and use accessible tools
- All participants agree to communications, postings etc that are courteous and constructive.
- Comments restricted to topics, ideas or other opinions.
- Do not make comments about other people or organizations.
- For the purpose of closed captioning during meetings:
- Please identify yourself prior to starting your comments or questions.
- Please do not talk over someone.
- If you are using Acronyms please spell them out
- Utilize the Hand Raising Utility during meetings.
Meetings are normally every Wednesday from 1:00 to 2:30 PM US Eastern time.
- **** CANCELLED **** November 07, 2007 - RCC ID:780036
To convert U.S. Eastern time to your time zone, use the Time Zone Converter
Subscribe to the Web and Software Subcommittee mailing list at http://list.teitac.org/mailman/listinfo/teitac-websoftware or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word 'SUBSCRIBE' in the SUBJECT line. Messages to the list should be addressed to email@example.com.
View the mailing list archives.
- GSA Guide to Creating Accessible PDF Documents: http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=79
- A few presentations to Section 508 Coordinators on web accessibility. Links on this page: http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=77
- "general references" page: http://teitac.org/wiki/General_References_Page
- Guide to Software http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.21.htm (This Guide is technical assistance written after the 508 Standard was published)
- Guide to Web http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm (This Guide is technical assistance written after the 508 Standard was published)
- Tutorial on Developing Accessible Software http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/software-tutorial.htm (This tutorial is technical assistance written after the 508 Standard was published)
- E-Learning: Conforming to Section 508 http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/e-learning.htm (Although this document is posted on the Access Board's website, it was not written by the Board.)
- IRS Section 508 Course for Software Development http://www.section508.gov/IRSCourse/
- Research-Based Web Design and Usability Guidelines: http://www.usability.gov/pdfs/guidelines.html (Published by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Specifications for Accessible Learning Technologies http://ncam.wgbh.org/salt/
- Testing for Web Accessibility Compliance Under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 by Don Barrett (U.S. Department of Education): http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/assisttesting.html
- GPO Future Digital System: http://www.gpo.gov/projects/fdsys.htm (They will be "harvesting" electronic information from federal websites and archiving those documents and files.)
- Goddard Space Flight Center web best practices: http://web508.gsfc.nasa.gov/index.html and web accessibility checklist: http://web508.gsfc.nasa.gov/developing/checklist/index.cfm
- Web Accessibility for 508 tutorial: http://www.jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm
- WCAG 1.0: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Version 1.0, http://w3.org/TR/WCAG10 (W3C Recommendation 5 May 1999). Copyright, © 1999 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio) http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231. All Rights Reserved.
- WCAG 2.0: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ (W3C Working Draft as of April 2006). Copyright, © 2006 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio) http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231. All Rights Reserved.
- WCAG and 508 side-by-side comparison: http://www.jimthatcher.com/sidebyside.htm
- MULTI-METHOD EVALUATION OF U.S. FEDERAL ELECTRONIC GOVERNMENT WEBSITES IN TERMS OF ACCESSIBILITY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-03062006-120905/unrestricted/PTJaegerDissertationFinal.pdf
- ATAG 2.0: Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG20/ (W3C Working Draft 7 December 2006). Copyright, © 2006 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio) http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231. All Rights Reserved.
- ATAG 1.0: Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines 1.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG10/ (W3C Recommendation 3 February 2000). Copyright, © 2000 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio) http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231. All Rights Reserved.
- UAAG 1.0: User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/ (W3C Recommendation 17 December 2002). Copyright, © 2002 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio) http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231. All Rights Reserved.
- SHORT NAME PROPOSAL A starting place for short names.
- Second Life: http://www.secondlife.com
- The Heron Sanctuary, a support system for users with disabilities within Second Life: http://www.theheronsanctuary.info